Monday, January 24, 2011

So, I know I said I was going to post about Dave Ramsey, but I lied. Or rather, just changed my mind. Dave is awesome and I am super stoked about following his plan for financial fitness, but I won't be blogging about it. Just not feeling a blog post. Sorry Dave. Nothing personal.

Speaking of personal, today's topic is completely TMI. Since this blog has a dramatically low number of followers and even fewer readers, I suppose I can talk about whatever personal matters I choose and hardly anyone will know! So without further ado, today I am going to talk about my period. Yup. Disgusting. So if you don't want to know about my menstrual cycle, don't read any further.

Here are a few fun facts about me that you probably didn't want to know: I have a tipped uterus. Mine is tipped toward my back instead of my belly like most people. It's not incredibly uncommon, and nothing is wrong with me, it's just different. It can be the cause of more painful periods, and sometimes it's more difficult to get pregnant, but nothing serious results from a tipped uterus as far as I am aware.

This interesting uterine position poses a particular problem in the way of tampons. They are even more uncomfortable for tipped girls like me. I completely dread my period, but then again I don't know anyone who enjoys it. I get horrible back pain during my period, which is common for someone with a tipped uterus and bad posture. Thanks to my job, I can't really do anything about the posture (No way to perform my job requirements without being bent over a counter all day long.) and thanks to my genes, I can't do anything about the uterus.

My SIL Kayce started using a menstrual cup and told me quite a bit about it. I admit, I was so GROSSED OUT! It seriously sounded revolting. The last thing I wanted was a cup shoved where it didn't belong to catch nasty period blood and hold it in my body until I emptied it. Everything about it disgusted me. Insertion, removal, cleaning, and even the cost seemed unappealing. Once she text me about how much she loved it during my lunch break at work and I was so grossed out, I literally lost my appetite. Now, I don't mean to say any of this to portray Kayce in a bad light. She gets excited about unique things and I never tire of listening to her talk about them. I hear about placenta's and cervical mucous and all that jazz and it doesn't faze me, but for some reason a menstrual cup did. Maybe it's because blood completely grosses me out. That has to at least contribute. Not only is your period blood, it's old blood that your body has been storing and then expels. That's even more disgusting.

Needless to say, I was not just hesitant, but down-right refusing to try a menstrual cup for myself. That is, until one miserable, cramp filled day of sheer agony. (Dramatic, aren't I?) I was whining to Kayce about how miserable I felt and she asked how I could even stand to use tampons. She claimed that a minstrel cup helped lessen cramping for her. Due to the amount of pain I was in, I was willing to consider anything short of a hysterectomy. I bought one, waited a month til my next cycle, and I LOVE IT! I will never go back to tampons. It is seriously so much better. It's not gross and it's more convenient than tampons. You have nothing to throw away. I can't believe I waited so long. If you have never tried it, give it a shot. You won't regret it.

1 comment:

  1. I always forget that most people aren't like me. I'm glad you love it though, that helps make me feel less guilty for ruining your appetite :)

    ReplyDelete