Sunday, August 15, 2010

New Habits

A coworker of mine shared a quote: "There are no successful people, only successful habits." He didn't know who said it and neither do I, but I think it's inspirational anyway. He told me this quote got him started on a healthier lifestyle. He told me he started by acquiring one healthy habit and once it became a true habit, he would add another. A year and 60 pounds later, he is a wonderful example of healthy living.

Since I am trying to focus on living a healthy lifestyle I decided I better start acquiring some better habits. I was able to make a habit of taking my temperature everyday. Instead of focusing on dropping bad habits, I am going to take a more positive and proactive approach and just try to gain one healthy habit. I am hoping to gain one healthy habit per week, but if it takes longer than that, I am OK with that too. So long as I am continuing to make progress, I won't worry about meeting a deadline.

This week my new habit will be to only drink water. (Excluding one serving of milk per day.)

Other habits I want to add to my list after mastering my first:

Get out of bed at 7:00 a.m. whether I work that day or not.
At least 50% of each meal will consist of vegetables
No Internet unless I have exercised that day
If I want to eat something unhealthy, I will only eat one serving
I will take a vitamin everyday
Go to bed by 10:30 p.m.

I know I always post goals and never end up reaching all of them, but I figure there is no harm in constantly striving to improve myself. I am pretty goal oriented, but also lazy. I am hoping to find an extra dose of discipline and get started one habit at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Sending good luck vibes to you! Making habits is a good idea. Even if it is just small things, it will help :)

    ReplyDelete