Sunday, July 4, 2010

Potty Training

I'd like to say I decided to start potty training, but it didn't happen that way. My well meaning mother decided my son was ready and started potty training him. Since you can't really start and stop, I decided to go with it. My mom must have known something I didn't, because it has gone very well. Lou is thrilled to be a big boy and actually likes going potty. I know his interest will fade and he won't be as excited about it in the future, but I hope to have him trained by then.

Diapers are TONS easier. Changing a diaper a few times a day is a lot less work than taking a kid to the potty every half hour so they can "try." Frequent trips to the potty ensure that there are less accidents and allows him to become more comfortable with going potty. It's worked pretty well. Today we took him potty right before we went to a movie at about 2:00 pm (Toy Story 3) he didn't need to go but we praised him for the effort. After the movie, we went straight to the potty. Dry pants! He still didn't need to go (and he had been drinking quite a bit.) but again we praised him for the effort. Then we got home from the movie theater and he was asleep. He was so tired he didn't even wake up when we brought him in the house. He slept right up until we needed to leave for a BBQ at 6:00pm. He woke up with dry pants! I took him to go potty right before we left and he sat there but still nothing. So we went to the BBQ and as soon as we got there HE told me he needed to go potty. He finally went and man did he have a full bladder! I was happy to report that he had no accidents and wore clean dry pants all day long.

I know I have a long way to go before he is completely trained, but I am glad he is doing well. He hasn't gone #2 in the potty yet and I have heard that it can be hard to get kids comfortable doing that. I also realize I am going to have to suck it up and hit up public restrooms more often. I hate public restrooms so much that I will only use one in extreme emergency. If I can hold it, (and I usually can) then I wait til I am home. Can't really do that now that I have a kid. It was funny seeing Lou's reaction to public restrooms today. He hasn't been in many since I avoid them like the plague. He was surprised that the movie theater had a bathroom. It was like they never existed before. He is such a character.

No comments:

Post a Comment