Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Going Green

There are many things I am passionate about. Mother Earth is one of them. I am also lazy and enjoy many modern conveniences that add to the waste and pollution caused by excessive consumerism. So, with that in mind, I am trying to implement some earth friendly practices in my home, but to a reasonably convenient extent. I need to go at this slowly in order to stick with it and to convince hubs to do it with me. I haven't purchased paper towels in a while. I feel that is one small step toward my goal of reducing waste and being more aware of my carbon footprint. Hubs so far has purchased paper towels on his own on 2 different occasions, but that's been over a span of a whole year. I have him pretty well trained to use to use cloth.

This weeks goal: RECYCLE. I live in an apartment complex and am constantly amazed at how much waste is produced by the residents. The city I live in has a curb-side recycling program and I am not sure if apartments are able to participate, but I am going to look into it. I am hoping to get our apartment managers involved in some sort of recycling program. Maybe they already have one and I just don't know about it yet. At any rate, I have designated a recycling bin that is currently sitting next to my garbage can and I will recycle even if my neighbors don't.


I am also entered into a flowerbed contest for my apartment complex. I am hoping to xeriscape the flower bed to conserve water. I am on a tight budget, so I hope it's affordable to buy the plants that will be best suited for xeriscaping.

No comments:

Post a Comment