Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Choosing a Healthcare Provider

Since I am going to be giving birth in a hospital I not only need to find the right doctor/midwife, I need to choose the right hospital. I am anticipating this will be a long and involved process. I am committed to doing whatever is necessary to have a successful natural birth, so I am going to do my homework now, before I am even pregnant, in order to avoid making hasty decisions that I may regret later.


I have a co-worker who gave birth to 3 children and was still able to birth naturally despite some very serious complications. I don’t remember all the details, but I do know that almost any doctor or midwife handling her case would have forced a cesarean. Her doctor knew how strongly she felt about experiencing childbirth and helped her deliver her children without any major medical interventions. That sounds pretty promising and since we both work for the same company, I am sure her doctor will be covered on my insurance. I plan on interviewing this doctor to see if she would be a good fit for me.

I have had several recommendations for doctors and once I look into them and ask about their stats on cesareans and induction/augmentations I find myself disappointed. I have looked into Certified Nurse Midwives and it’s usually not much different from OB’s. I think it’s going to require a lot of work to find the right fit for what I want out of my birth experience.

In order to narrow down the hospital choice, I am going to start with the list of hospitals my insurance company covers. I am going to acquire the legal forms usually given upon admittance, and read the fine print. This may have quite an impact on which hospital I end up choosing. I won’t be going to a hospital that requires me to sign away my right to choose what interventions I receive. I also want to be able to hold and breastfeed my baby right away and hospitals that don’t allow that aren’t for me.

I know I am expecting the impossible, but I am determined to try as hard as I can to get what I want. I will certainly have better luck getting it, if I decide what I want and how to get it now. I don’t want to wait until I am pregnant and have a limited time to research and make a decision. I realize I am expecting a completely unmedicalized birth from a medical facility. I know I am crazy for expecting this to work out, but I am not nervous at all. I know I will get the birth I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment